HAZARD MITIGATION GRANTS
HI-EMA administers three FEMA grant programs that are focused on Hazard Mitigation:
- Building Resilient Infrastructure and Communities (BRIC)
- Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP)
- Flood Mitigation Assistance (FMA)
State and local mitigation activities that qualify for FEMA funding include:
- Hazard mitigation planning.
- Retrofit of critical facilities.
- Acquisition, elevation, relocation or drainage improvements of repetitive flood loss structures.
- Construction or upgrade of general population shelters.
- Enhancement of development codes and standards.
- Safe rooms and storm shelters.
- Redundant power supply for critical facilities.
- Warning systems.
Who is Eligible for Hazard Mitigation Grants?
State and County Agencies are eligible to apply for BRIC, HMGP, and FMA. Certain private, non-profit organizations are eligible to apply for HMGP only. Individuals and businesses are not eligible to apply directly; however, an eligible applicant may apply on behalf of individuals or businesses.
For more information on eligibility, please contact the State Hazard Mitigation Officer at 808-733-4300 ext. 565
Required documents and additional resources for HMGP Applications