Major General Joseph R. Harris IIPosted on Jul 12, 2020 in Main
MAJOR GENERAL JOSEPH R. HARRIS, II
Maj. Gen. Joseph R. Harris II is the Chief of Staff
and Commander of the Hawaii Air National Guard
(HIANG). He coordinates with both Federal and
State Department of Defense agencies to provide
2,500 combat ready Guardsmen from the 154th
Wing, 201st Air Operations Group, 298th Air
Defense Group and 293rd Electromagnetic
Warfare Squadron to enhance Total Force
Association combat capabilities within the Pacific
Theater. General Harris also provides strategic
planning and operational oversight while
advancing 5th-generation combat power, global
reach and strategic airlift in order to defend
Hawaii’s citizens, preserve peace, and ensure
regional stability throughout the Hawaiian Islands
during natural disasters and national
In 1998, General Harris graduated from Northwest
Christian University with a Bachelor of Arts in
Business Administration, and then commissioned
through the Academy of Military Science. In 1999,
he completed the Aircraft Maintenance and Munitions
Officer course and served in several key maintenance
leadership roles, culminating as 154th Maintenance Group Commander in 2015. He has over 37 years
as a guardsman. Prior to his current assignment, the General was the HIANG Air Staff Director, Plans
and Programs, providing key operational analysis and developing new mission sets for modernizing
1998 Academy of Military Science, McGhee Tyson Air National Guard Base, Tenn.
1998 Bachelor of Arts, Business Administration, Northwest Christian University, Eugene, Ore. 1999 Aircraft Maintenance and Munitions Officer School, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas 2002 Aircraft Mishap Investigation Officer Course, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
2004 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2005 Advanced Maintenance and Munitions Officer School, Nellis AFB, Nev. 2007 ANG Intermediate Development Course, McGhee Tyson ANGB, Tenn. 2008 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence 2012 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2013 Master of Public Administration, Portland State University, Ore. 2014 ANG Commander’s Development Course, Joint Base Andrews, Md. 2016 Maintenance Group Commander’s Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2018 Joint Task Force Commander’s Course, Peterson AFB, Colo. 2021 Dual Status Commander’s Course, Fort Carson, Colo.
- March 1998 – May 1998, Personnel Officer Trainee, Kingsley Field,
- June 1998 – December 1998, Aircraft Maintenance and Munitions Officer Trainee, Kingsley Field,
- January 1999 – September 1999, Logistics Support Flight Commander, Kingsley Field,
- October 1999 – February 2000, Aircraft Maintenance & Munitions Officer, Kingsley Field,
- March 2000 – January 2003, Logistics Support Flight Commander, Kingsley Field,
- February 2003 – September 2003, Logistics Support Flight Commander, Kingsley Field,
- October 2003 – May 2004, Logistics Support Flight Commander, 173rd Maintenance Operations Flight, Kingsley Field, Ore.
- June 2004 – November 2004, Mission Support Flight Commander, 173rd Maintenance Support Flight, Kingsley Field, Ore.
- December 2004 – October 2005, Aircraft Maintenance & Munitions Officer, 142nd Maintenance Squadron, Portland ANG Base, Ore.
- October 2005 – September 2006, Maintenance Officer, 142nd Maintenance Squadron, Portland ANG Base, Ore.
- September 2006 – October 2011, Commander, 142nd Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Portland ANG Base, Ore.
- October 2011 – December 2012, Commander, 142nd Maintenance Squadron, Portland ANG Base,
- December 2012 – November 2014, Deputy Commander, 142nd Maintenance Group, Portland ANG Base, Ore.
- November 2014 – October 2015, Deputy Commander, 154th Maintenance Group, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii
- October 2015 – September 2018, Commander, 154th Maintenance Group, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii
- September 2018 – April 2020, Director of Plans and Programs, Headquarters Hawaii ANG, Fort Ruger, Hawaii
- April 2020 – September 2020, Assistant Adjutant General- Air / Commander, Hawaii ANG, Fort Ruger,
- October 2020 – Present, Chief of Staff / Commander, Hawaii ANG, Fort Ruger, Hawaii
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Air Force Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with two oak leaf clusters
Air Reserve Force Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star device
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal Military
Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal
Air Force Longevity Service Ribbon with seven oak leaf clusters Armed Forces Reserve Medal with silver hourglass
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon (Pistol)
Air Force Training Ribbon with one oak leaf cluster
1998 Victor P. Morris Memorial Award, Northwest Christian University
1998 Commander’s Award for Military Achievement, Academy of Military Science
2001 Company Grade Officer of the Year, 173rd Fighter Wing, Kingsley Field, Ore.
2005 Academic Excellence Award, Advanced Maintenance and Munitions Officer School
2011 Award of Excellence, Mark Hatfield School of Government, Portland State University
2012 Outstanding Graduate, Air War College
2013 Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society, Portland State University
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant March 12, 1998
First Lieutenant March 12, 2000
Captain March 12, 2002
Major March 16, 2006
Lieutenant Colonel April 13, 2010
Colonel Dec. 1, 2015
Brigadier General April 24, 2020
Major General November 30, 2022
(Current as of March 2023)ALJ