The Hawaii Army National Guard (HIARNG) recognizes and understands the negative impacts that stormwater pollutants (e.g., sediment, trash, oil) can cause to the waters of Hawaii, and in turn, to the wildlife, flora, and coral reef ecosystems that inhabit and surround our ʻĀina.
The HIARNG stormwater management program serves to prohibit the release of non-stormwater discharges by integrating stormwater Best Management Practices (BMPs) into HIARNG’s operational and training evolutions to reduce, to the maximum extent possible (MEP), the discharge of pollutants to and from the HIARNG Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4).
NATIONAL POLLUTANT DISCHARGE ELIMINATION SYSTEM (NPDES)
The NPDES is the national permit program for issuing; terminating; monitoring and enforcing permits under the Clean Water Act (CWA). The HIARNG NPDES permit, Permit No. HI S000052 [PDF, 2 MB], was issued to HIARNG on June 1, 2020, and in accordance with the provisions of the Clean Water Act, as amended; Hawaii Revised Statutes Chapter 342D; and Hawaii Administrative Rules (HAR), Department of Health (DOH), State of Hawaii, Chapters 11-54 and 11-55, authorizing discharges of stormwater runoff and certain non-stormwater discharges from HIARNG’s MS4 and stormwater discharges associated with industrial activities from the Army Aviation Support Facility No. 1, Wheeler Army Airfield, into State waters.
HIARNG STORMWATER MANAGEMENT PROGRAM
The HIARNG manages its stormwater program utilizing their programmatic guide, the 2021 HIARNG Stormwater Management Plan (SWMP). The SWMP was prepared in accordance with the Clean Water Act (CWA); HRS Chapter 342D; and HAR Title 11, Chapters 54 and 55, as amended, and was designed to address the requirements of the HIARNG NPDES Permit and reduce, to the MEP, the discharge of stormwater pollutants to and from its MS4 to protect water quality.
The HIARNG SWMP is formatted into the following sections:
- Public Education and Outreach
- Public Involvement/Participation
- Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination
- Construction Site Runoff Control
- Post-Construction Stormwater Management in New Development and Redevelopment
- Pollution Prevention/Good Housekeeping
- Industrial and Commercial Activities Discharge Management Program
To learn more about HIARNG’s stormwater program, please see our 2021 SWMP and the 2021 HIARNG Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP) for the Army Aviation Support Facility #1-HHI.
CONSTRUCTION, REPAIR, AND MAINTENANCE ACTIVITIES
All HIARNG staff and contractors involved with construction, repair, and/or maintenance activities on HIARNG installations must comply with the HIARNG SWMP Programs:
- Section 5.0: Construction Site Runoff Control [PDF, 129 KB];
- Section 6.0: Post-Construction Stormwater Management in New Development and Redevelopment [PDF, 117 KB];
- Appendix H: Construction, Repair, and Maintenance Stormwater Best Management Practices Manual [PDF, 485 KB]; and,
- Receive: Construction BMP Manual Training at least annually or before the start of a project.
Please feel free to contact our office [HIARNG ENV] with questions or concerns at [email protected].
Mahalo nui loa!