How to Apply
Oahu Campus – Kalaeloa – Main Admissions Office
PO Box 75348, 91-1001 Shangrila St., Kapolei, Hawaii 96707
Admission (808) 673 – 7530 Fax (808) 673 – 7538
Big Island Campus – Hilo
PO Box 5210, Hilo, Hawaii 96720
Admission (808) 369 – 0950 Fax (808) 969 – 1504
Statement of Purpose
The Youth Challenge Academy will enroll youth who show potential and who are able, in a timely and satisfactory manner, to meet all academic, mental, and physical activities requirements which together comprise the fundamental nature of a Youth Challenge Graduate.
The Academy admits youth on the premise that they have the intent and the ability to undergo and complete training successfully.
Link to Academy overview video: https://www.facebook.com/youthchallengeoahu/videos/vb.816433471726116/823982604304536/?type=2&theater
How to Apply:
Step 1 – Schedule and attend an Orientation.
Oahu Campus – Kalaeloa: 91-1001 Shangrila St.
Kapolei, Hi. 96707
Wednesdays at 9:00 a.m. (March thru May and September thru December; all other dates are by appointment only)
Big Island Campus – Hilo: 1046 Leilani St., Bldg 621,
Hilo, Hawaii 96720
Tues/Thurs 5:30 p.m.
Step 2 – Complete an application package
Completed applications can be sent to:
Or delivered in person
Step 3 – Attend a Formal Interview
– Males: Dress Shirt & Covered Shoes
– Females: Modest wear, no tank or sleeveless tops, no shorts or mini-skirts and no slippers
All Mandatory Documents Need to be Submitted:
- State I.D., Driver’s License, military I.D., Passport, Etc.
- If not U.S. Born then legalization paperwork is required
- If you have not enrolled in a Hawaii State school and you are under 18 years of age, you must enroll and dis-enroll with your local school prior to attending YCA.
Criminal Background Check
- 16-17 years-old applicants need a Juvenile Criminal Abstract, which is free of charge and can be retrieved from the Kapolei Judiciary Complex Courthouse, 2nd Floor Juvenile Special Service Counter from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm. (808) 954-8000
- 18-year-old applicants need an e-Crim report which will cost $18 and can be retrieved via this website: https://ecrim.ehawaii.gov/ahewa/
- A sports physical which clears the applicant to perform physical activity within the last year is acceptable, but the your physician will need to fill out the appropriate DOE form: DOE Physical Form
*** Do Not Send Original Documents *** ***We Only Need Legible Copies***
Step 4 – Mentor Selection
Each applicant is required to find a person, capable of being supportive and offering a positive influence on them while attending the academy and in the future. The mentor must be selected by the Applicant and Parents/Guardians. A Mentor Packet must be completed by the prospective mentor and submitted to the Academy mentor coordinator.
Step 6 – Selection Board
Once all Mandatory Documents are submitted, a Selection Board will review and make acceptance recommendations. Selected applicants will be sent an Invitation to Attend the Academy letter.
Applicants, together with Parents/Guardians, should make a family decision regarding attendance.
When a decision is reached, the Applicant, together with the Parent/Guardian, must inform the Academy of their decision. If you have any questions, please contact the following:
If you are accepted, you will need to purchase or provide items listed on the packing list below: