Notice of Intent deadline extended for BRIC and FMA grants

Posted on Sep 9, 2021 in Information and News Releases, Main

DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE

Hawaiʻi Emergency Management Agency

DAVID Y. IGE

GOVERNOR

MAJOR GENERAL KENNETH S. HARA

DIRECTOR OF EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT

LUKE P. MEYERS

ADMINISTRATOR OF EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT

Millions in Mitigation Grants Available to Reduce Disaster Impacts; Deadline to submit extended

Honolulu – The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has announced funding for two 2021 hazard mitigation grant programs: The Building Resilient Infrastructure and Communities (BRIC) Program and the Flood Mitigation Assistance (FMA) Program.

These programs provide funding to State agencies, County governments, and certain Private Non-Profit (PNP) organizations to implement natural hazard mitigation projects to protect lives, properties, and the environment. To be eligible, a project must be listed in the 2018 State Hazard Mitigation Plan or County Mitigation Plan. Both programs allow up to 75% of project costs to be funded by Federal funds. The sub-applicant is responsible for the remaining 25% of project costs, which must be from a non-Federal source.

The BRIC program funds a range of projects to help Hawaii protect against hurricanes, floods, wildfires, tsunamis, earthquakes, landslides, and the impacts to people, critical infrastructure, and the environment.

The FMA grant program provides funding assistance to State agencies, County governments, and certain PNPs to reduce risk or eliminate the risk of repetitive flood damage to buildings and structures which are insurable under the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). Additional program details are available on FEMA’s website.

Hawai’i Emergency Management Agency (HI-EMA) will review all applications and will determine funding priorities in conjunction with the State Hazard Mitigation Forum. Interested organizations must submit a pre-application form to HI-EMA to proceed with applying.

The deadline to submit a pre-application notice of intent (NOI) to HI-EMA is 5 p.m. HST on September 17, 2021. The BRIC NOI and FMA NOI are available online. Upon acceptance of a NOI, HI-EMA will request a formal application and will assist in completing the application, commencing on October 15, 2021 to meet FEMA’s absolute deadline of January 28, 2022 at 3 p.m. EST. The application process is complex and involves continuous dialogue with all concerned.

If you have questions, require further information, or require technical assistance, please contact Theresa Woznick, State Hazard Mitigation Officer at (808) 733-4300, ext. 812 or [email protected]. More information can be found here.

###

 

Media Contacts:

Doug Carroll

Public Information Officer

[email protected]

808-620-5423

 

Hollie Reina

Public Relations Specialist

[email protected]

808-620-5423

For the latest information from the Hawai‘i Emergency Management Agency (HI-EMA)

http://www.ready.hawaii.gov

2021 HMA Grant Press Release(1)