HAZARD MITIGATION GRANTS
HI-EMA administers three FEMA grant programs that are focused on Hazard Mitigation:
- Building Resilient Infrastructure and Communities (BRIC)
- Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP)
- Flood Mitigation Assistance (FMA)
Final Public Notice: Oahu Coastal Community Tsunami Evacuation Sign Installation | Posted March 4, 2022
Open Funding Opportunities:
Please keep in mind these important deadlines for the HMGP COVID-19 funding:
- 02/18/22 – Interested applicants must submit their Notice of Intent (NOI) to HI-EMA by 5 p.m. Hawaiʻi Standard Time (HST).
- 04/01/22 – HI-EMA will notify applicants if they have been approved to apply
- 04/30/22 – Internal application deadline to HI-EMA (SOW, work schedule, budget, BCA) must be submitted by 5 p.m HST.
Closed Funding Opportunities:
BRIC FY21 and FMA FY21 applications have closed. Please check back in August for the FY22 NOFO announcements and contact the Hazard Mitigation Team at 808-733-4300 ext. 812 with project ideas for the FY22 funding cycle.
State and local mitigation activities that qualify for FEMA funding include:
- Hazard mitigation planning.
- Retrofit of critical facilities.
- Acquisition, elevation, relocation or drainage improvements of repetitive flood loss structures.
- Construction or upgrade of general population shelters.
- Enhancement of development codes and standards.
- Safe rooms and storm shelters.
- Redundant power supply for critical facilities.
- Warning systems.
Who is Eligible for Hazard Mitigation Grants?
State and County Agencies are eligible to apply for BRIC, HMGP, and FMA. Certain private, non-profit organizations are eligible to apply for HMGP only. Individuals and businesses are not eligible to apply directly; however, an eligible state or county agency may apply on behalf of individuals or businesses through sponsorship.
For more information on eligibility, please contact the State Hazard Mitigation Officer at 808-733-4300 ext. 812.
Review required documents & additional resources for HMA Grant Program Applications